“And the rest of the day to yourself” – Stephen O’Shannessy O’Brien McMurphy Patrick Michael O’Kowalski here … hope your Patty’s Day is as good as mine. Around here at the shop, and all over Cleveland, St. Patrick’s Day is a blast. We have a 5 hour 100 year+ traditional parade that attracts tens of thousands of visitors downtown, crazy pub crawls, kegs of green beer and shamrocks galore. Many of the areas school kids are out, moms and dads with kids in wagons – all because, of course, “everyone” is Irish today. We’re feelin’ the love and luck of the Irish, and wishing all our friends, customers, vendors and neighbors a great day indeed.
And my day is not complete until I get home and sink my teeth into our traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner, with an ice cold Killigans. Every year I promise myself that I’ll take it easy, but then find I go back to the stove again and again. My wife Jackie knows me too well, and plans ahead, to be sure there is more than enough for leftovers – MAYBE!
To reap the benefits of your feast, here are a bunch of totally delicious, creative recipes to help you use up your remaining loaf n’ fixin’s (only one of them is a Reuben). Special thanks to boston.com for the great list and the websites skinnytaste.com, foodnessgracious.com, tasty-trials.com, susikochenundbacken.blogspot.com, aducksoven.com, familyfreshmeals.com, thefoodinmybeard.com, hispanickitchen.com, and foodnetwork.com. Enjoy!
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup – the whole shebang in a soup bowl — perfect for snow days. (Recipe)
- Corned Beef Sliders with Spicy Mustard – mini meaty sliders made with biscuits and gooey cheddar cheese. (Recipe)
- Corned Beef Tacos with Guinness Dipping Sauce – because almost everything tastes better in a taco and with a Guinness!. (Recipe)
- ‘Irish’ Hot Pockets – buttery, flaky little pockets filled with all the goodness of your St. Patrick’s Day feast. (Recipe)
- Irish Nachos – a magical hybrid you should share — but won’t. (Recipe)
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Quesadillas – just hide your maniacal laughter when everyone else is stuck eating a plain old sandwich. (Recipe)
- Corned Beef Hash and Egg Sandwich – like the best sausage McMuffin you’ve ever had. (Recipe)
- Corned Beef Empanadas with Pickled Cabbage Slaw – use up both your leftover beef and beer with these tasty little treats. (Recipe)
- Zingerman’s Reuben Sandwich – traditional, but yummy! (Recipe)
Be sure to call me next week with your favorite – or send me a family recipe I can try at home. Erin go Bragh!